Leipzig University Library was founded in the year 1543 and is one of the oldest university libraries that serves both members of the university and the population of its surrounding city. Leipzig University Library is used nationally and internationally because of its precious holdings and extensive special collections. These include medieval and modern manuscripts, incunabulae, the collection of papyri and autographs and the collections of Ostraka and coins. Since January 1, 1998, Leipzig University Library has joined the national system for special collections in modern disciplines and is responsible for collecting literature and information in the field of Communication, Media Studies and Journalism. Leipzig University Library provides printed and electronic media for all students, teachers, and researchers at Leipzig University. It continuously improves its catalogues and its reading areas, assures modern reproduction technology, and offers services in information retrieval for every discipline. Leipzig University Library cooperates closely with libraries in Saxony and other German States as well as internationally.